Krav Maga Meridian
What is Krav Maga?
At Rocky Mountain Self-Defense & Fitness (RMSDF) in Colorado, we help people feel safer, stronger, more confident, and ready to take on the world! You may not have heard of Krav Maga unless you’re in the military or law enforcement. Originally developed as a street-fighting technique to defend Jews in Czechoslovakia from fascist groups, and later adopted by Israeli defense forces, this martial art is popular among law enforcement and military personnel because it’s simple, easy to learn and highly effective. Our Krav Maga classes faithfully follow this proud tradition, with its training techniques derived from boxing, wrestling, judo, karate, aikido and street fight training. Krav Maga training focuses on practical self-defense techniques for real-world situations. It is the best form of martial arts for both fighting skills and fitness, and it’s designed for all ages and abilities.
What is Krav Maga Based On?
This martial art is based on our natural responses to perceived threats and dangers. Its premise is that you should be ready for anything, and our Krav Maga classes train members in effective techniques for all real-life situations. Stand-up defense techniques are based on boxing and Muay Thai (Thai boxing), while ground fighting techniques are taken from Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as well as basic grappling styles. The fighting skills that are taught at RMSDF in Englewood are similar to those of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) and the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship). The difference is that we also show students how to effectively defend against reality-based situations. Krav Maga isn’t meant as a competitive sport, but rather as an effective defense technique that teaches you how to be fast on your feet and defend yourself from any dangers.
What is an Meridian Krav Maga Class Like?
Our Englewood classes begin with a warm-up of shadow boxing and body weight exercises. In the second half of the lesson, students learn basic blocks, kicks and strikes, as well as a certain defensive skill or a more advanced defense technique against weapons. Most Krav Maga classes conclude with a drill that combines all the moves and techniques that you learned in that class. Our classes are all appropriate for beginners through more advanced levels, and our members form a strong, supportive community that is dedicated to helping fellow students learn to defend themselves.
All our Krav Maga trainers are fully certified. RMSDF leader and founder, John Hallett, is a 3rd Degree Black Belt. He was selected for the Krav Maga ‘Train the Trainer’ program, an elite group of instructors across the U.S. who are trained to conduct instructor certification courses.
Does Krav Maga Work?
Krav Maga is not a sport or a competition. It was originally designed for practical self-defense in the street, and continues to be an extremely effective street fighting style of martial arts that’s been battle-tested in local and national law enforcement as well as in the military. At RMSDF, our certified instructors teach members highly practical and no-nonsense self-defense skills based on real-life situations. The moves are built upon natural instincts of how we respond to danger, and they will keep you and your family safe while boosting your confidence. This martial art is simple yet practical, making it the best martial arts discipline for self-defense.
Why Should I Learn Krav Maga?
Although Krav Maga is first and foremost for self-defense, it will also help you to:
• Become More Confident – Krav Maga classes are personalized to individual abilities, but these are tough, challenging lessons that aim to expand one’s fitness level and abilities, thereby enhancing one’s self-confidence.
• Improve Your Fitness – Although it is called Krav Maga Self-Defense and not “Krav Maga Fitness,” it’s quite a workout! You will get stronger and develop muscles in the course of your Krav Maga training.
• Lose Weight – Since Krav Maga is a high-intensity style of martial arts, with kicks, punches and other aerobic activities, it’s great for burning calories. In our Krav Maga fitness training, you will very likely shed unwanted pounds.
• Tone Muscle – Another benefit of high-intensity Krav Maga training is that you’ll tone muscle all over your body, giving you a leaner appearance.
• Boost Stamina and Strength – Part of the Krav Maga fitness benefits include added strength and stamina, which are not only important when you need to defend yourself, but are also essential to living a happy, healthy and fulfilling life.
• Sharpen Mental Fitness – Krav Maga isn’t just about one’s physical prowess. It teaches the student ways to use the body’s natural reflexes to defend themselves, and how to target an attacker’s vulnerabilities and weaknesses. This involves critical thinking and mental focus, which develop as the student continues to train.
• Reduce Stress – This can be considered a “side effect” of Krav Maga training. As you become more confident in the knowledge that you can effectively defend yourself, you will be able to relax in potentially stressful or unnerving situations, such as walking around late at night or being in a large group of people.
How Hard is Krav Maga to Learn?
As a martial arts discipline, Krav Maga is easy for beginners to learn. This is because it doesn’t use complicated techniques or difficult kicks. At RMSDF in Englewood, we believe in making Krav Maga accessible to students of all ages and skill levels, and not just those who are athletically skilled. Among the Israeli defense forces, Krav Maga is taught to individuals at all skill levels and degrees of physical fitness, as part of their combat training. It was specifically chosen for its simplicity so that learning Krav Maga can be accomplished by anyone who has the desire to do so. We even have Krav Maga classes for kids, which is based on adult Krav Maga but designed for children.
How Many Levels Are in Krav Maga?
At Krav Maga Englewood, you don’t have to wait until you’ve achieved the level of a black belt to learn more advanced self-defense techniques, including how to defend yourself against weapons. Although beginners learn the entire Krav Maga curriculum, we do have belt levels to mark individual achievement.
These belts are based on the traditional belt systems in other martial arts practices, but instead of seven colors, we have 9. The levels are white, yellow, orange, camo, green, blue, brown, red and black. This ranges from 20 lessons to advance from white to yellow belt, to 60 classes for the more advanced belts.
Krav Maga at Rocky Mountain Self-Defense & Fitness in Meridian
Are you interested in joining our RMSDF Englewood community? Our location in Englewood is in Meridian Village, and we have another location in Castle Rock, Colorado, if that’s more convenient. We have several membership options that are designed to fit your lifestyle and budget. We invite you to try a free class to see if Krav Maga is right for you. You can also take our quiz to learn if you’re a good fit for Krav Maga. We also offer a one-week trial for $19.99, which includes unlimited Krav Maga classes.
If you like the experience and are up to the challenge, we have a six-week trial period, a one-year platinum membership or a six-month budget membership. Learn more about our pricing and feel free to contact us with any questions.
We look forward to welcoming you to our RMSDF Meridian community!